Thursday, May 27, 2010


Well, I for one did not truly understand the potential for such serious repercussions from a toothache!

My husband and I have neglected our teeth over the years, (some financial reasons, and some plain old procrastination!) and subsequently suffered some BAD pain! My girlfriend is a Dental Assistant, and has warned us about the danger in the past. She mentioned stories of abcess complications that go into the brain. It was always one of those things that we took with us, but sort of felt it was in the abyss. Something that couldn't/wouldn't happen to us.

Well, well, well!! Let me tell you...

Last Monday afternoon, my bad tooth started acting up. I got very little sleep, and was in severe pain by Tuesday morning. Having no money to pay for a dental visit, I hoped it would just subside. By afternoon, I knew that was not going to happen, so in desperation, I walked down to the dentist. I begged them to work out a payment plan, give me other suggestions, offer pain relief ideas...Nothing. So another horrible night of suffering. Wednesday morning, I woke up with a swollen tongue and throat, and had a hard time swallowing. A difficult morning of deciding what to do, calls to the dentist, quick stop into a Medical Clinic and a phone call to Health Link... The nurse interrupted my story, "Ma'am, you need to hang up the phone and call 911!"
I thought she must be joking, and I was home alone with baby girl! Mother in Law rushed over and off we went to the hospital. I was given antibiotics, and asked to come back at midnight for another round. I had an infection and they were concerned about my airways staying open. By the time I got back to the hospital, I was worse. More pain, swelling, spreading into my neck, harder time swallowing...I was sent for CT Scan and admitted to the hospital! This infection spread RAPIDLY. It was going into my chest, down the "highway to the heart"!

Since Wednesday night I have been in and out of the hospital. The nasty tooth was pulled on Friday, though the abcess is still there, and hardly draining! I am now hooked to an IV pump at home, giving regular doses of anti-biotics. This is day number 2 off the Percocets, and instead alternating with strong Ibuprofen and Tylenol.

I am finally on the mend. They say it will be a slow, bumpy road back to normal. The swelling is sooo much better, but my lymph nodes are still a little swollen and painful, they go up and down. The swelling in my mouth and tongue is also much better, but still a little bothersome, especially when TRYING to eat. I am so tired, bouts of nausea, developing at least 1 new bacterial infection due to the anti-biotics... I go back to the hospital tomorrow, so I am hoping to get off this IV and onto pills, and another pill for the new infection!

It has been such a difficult week, and my poor little girl... She has been an angel! But I feel like I miss her!Mom came down Sunday to help, which has been amazing! I am sad to see her leaving this afternoon, and truthfully a little nervous about how I will cope without her helping with Makiya! Mom has truly done it all these past few days, and I have needed and appreciated it so very much. It's true of me, you know there is something seriously wrong if I am asking for AND accepting help!

It is so important for us to take care of ourselves. These complications can and do happen!! Not just to other people! This time, because I was in so much pain, I was having such a hard time getting through the hours of taking care of my daughter. That was a problem that needed to be fixed. Had I been my usual self, I would have procrastinated and not wanting to go to the hospital, held on hoping to feel better on my own. This could have been so much worse, I could have died.

Needless to say, in the very near future, hubby and I intend to get our teeth fixed! I hope you are ready to get yours looked at after all these years now too?!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...